Even though it is only the middle of May, it feels like summer has arrived. We are having amazing weather right now, and eating dinner outside is a great way to end the day.
I have started to make more salads, and this one was a hit. It was also a quick and tasty way to use some of the cherry tomatoes and the half avocado I had.
In a large bowl, combine:
2 cups frozen corn, defrosted
1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
2 green onions, thinly sliced
1/2 avocado, diced
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
pinch of chipotle chili powder
salt and pepper to taste
Dress the salad by adding fresh lime juice and avocado oil to taste. I went light on the oil, just enough to coat everything lightly.
Serve right away, at room temperature, or chill and serve later.
- The amounts in a salad like this depend on you...which vegetable you like most, or which one you have more of.
- As soon as corn on the cob is in season, grill some and cut the kernels off the cob and use in the salad instead of frozen corn. This will add a lovely smoky sweet flavour.
- The tomatoes I was using were a mixture of colours, red, yellow and green.
- If the other family members didn't dislike cilantro so much I would have chopped some and added it. Fresh chives or chopped fresh parsley would brighten the salad up if you have some.
- Add chopped cooked chicken to the salad, omit the avocado. Cut an avocado in half, carefully remove the pit and then stuff the cavity with the salad for a light lunch. Cooked shrimp or lobster meat can also be used this way.
- The salad can be used as a salsa to accompany grilled fish. It can also be used in tacos or wraps (which is what I did, together with the leftover flank steak).
- To turn this into a salad entree, add black beans, diced red pepper, leftover meat such as chicken, pork or beef and some cheese. Add a warm tortilla or crusty bread and you have a quick and easy lunch or dinner.