No camping planned for the next few weeks, but still want s'mores? Here's an easy version you can make in the oven, and they will be eaten just as quickly!
I happened upon a partial bag of mini marshmallows in the back of the cupboard....inspiration!
Firstly, heat the oven to 350F and line an 8" square pan with foil. Lightly grease the foil.
Start by making the base.
In the stand mixer, cream:
4 ounces of soft butter
3/4 cup white sugar
Add 1 egg and 1 teaspoon of vanilla.
Then add in the dry ingredients:
1 1/3 cups flour
3/4 cup chocolate cookie crumbs
1 teaspoon baking powder
Mix until combined and starting to form small clumps.
Press 2/3 of the crumbly mixture into the prepared 8" pan, and bake for 15 minutes.
While the base is baking, prepare the topping by combining:
the remaining 1/3 of crumbly mixture
3 cups mini marshmallows
1 1/3 cups chocolate chips
As soon as the base comes out of the oven, sprinkle the topping evenly over the hot crust.
Return to the oven and bake for 12 - 15 minutes, until the marshmallows are soft and golden.
Cool before cutting.
Who can say no to caramelized marshmallows and melty chocolate chips???
- Use graham crumbs instead of the chocolate cookie crumbs.
- Add 3/4 cup of chopped pecans in place of some of the chocolate and marshmallows.
- Use a combination of white, dark and milk chocolate chips.
- Do not refrigerate, the marshmallows will melt!!!
- They are best when still slightly warm, so you obtain the full effect of soft gooey deliciousness when biting into them.